Podcast

THE CUT PODCAST

Monday, December 6, 2010

The Big Picture

The Texans go into this weeks game versus the Ravens with the fourth worst record in the AFC. It is pointless to give false hypothetical playoff examples as this needs to be a week by week journey to even make that possible. There are people calling for Kubiak's head, Frank Bush's head, but is that the real problem ? I watch the Texans get beat by the same things every week. Confusing play calling, bad technique by the players, and no awareness. Lets be honest here people, I know everyone is a homer and want to think this team is loaded with talent or talented enough to make the playoffs. It is not. This team is not built to win.

I would like to think I have played on some pretty good teams in my day. Based on my experience, I would also like to think I can recognize a real football player versus an athlete. How long till its realized that this team is not as talented as everyone thinks ? How long till Mr. McNair realizes that from top to bottom this organization does not have what it takes to win ? There are holes everywhere that need to be filled on both sides of the ball. The time to bring in players that either have played, are experienced, or have good young quality is now. An NFL team is like any other organization and a new company brings in a CEO or President that has experience and is able to run and teach the new employees of how the business should be run, and the NFL is no different. This team is very young and doesn't understand the game the way its suppose to be played.

I'll be honest here, there are players on this team that wouldn't have even seen the field on some of the teams I have played on. In my opinion I think that would translate to many of the teams in the NFL now. I am not saying there is no talent, but it's very obvious there is not enough. I don't see the Texans as a mentally tough team. I don't see the Texans as a physically tough team. I don't see them as a mentally sharp or alert team. The coaches are responsible for some of that, but so are the players. Where do these ingredients come from though ? Who helps with the process of learning ? There is no one on the Texans team that plays that role, coaches included. Even with sub par players, a team that has these qualities can still win and be consistent.

In order to evaluate a team it must be looked at as a whole while determining which individual pieces can make it that. These pieces have to have specific qualities and need to be dependable. They also have to function in the correct manner doing exactly what it is called to do. You can not force a square peg into a circular whole. Even if you could it would be broken or cracked trying to do it and thus would not function correctly. In my eyes that is what I see. I see a team that have pieces in specific spots, but they are not quality dependable pieces that are functional.

3 comments:

  1. Be more specific...who are you talking about that shouldn't be playing? D line? D backs? Who are you referring to?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not gonna name call. WR, DB, and DLine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nailed it. I am losing patience. They want us to hang in there as fans, but when is the last time they spent 20% of their income on anything outside of real estate? That's what 12k in season tickets is for me. It was a flyer to be a part of a magical year and now I'm stuck. I can't give away Texans tickets. I'm a Houston homer and it kills me that I care about this team but I do.

    ReplyDelete