Podcast

THE CUT PODCAST

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Uugghh !

It pains me to even entertain these thoughts, but unfortunately I must. I remember my first year in New York playing for the Jets. I wanted to make sure I experienced all that the city had to offer.  So during  my tour of New York I remember seeing the guys on tv making money playing the switch-a-roo game, I call it. Either with cards or whatever they could find and putting it under a cup or hat and move them all around real fast and you guess which one it was under. So I stroll through time square and behold ! I see a guy dressed in attire, similar to what the fat boys would wear back in the day, running his game. I made a B-line directly towards him and took on the challenge. We went back and forth several times, and  it was actually entertaining considering how simple of a game it is. We played one last round. I placed my bet, and tried to hone in on where I thought the small playing piece he used was. He made several moves unlike what he made  in the other rounds. He must have been saving them for moments like this. His hands stopped, I was sure I knew which one it was. Even after all the 360's and 180's he pulled I was still confident. I made my selection. He asked if I was sure. Then a small voice in my head said, "MC you just got played".  And of course wherever that voice came from, it was correct. I had truly been swindled by one of New York's finest hustlers. I wasn't upset that it happened, it was just awesome to experience it. My "Summer of Lebron" experience is the same yet  quite the opposite.

I'm just gonna give it to you  straight. The media coverage, the hype, the twitters, everything involved in this madness has been used to swindle us. Yes people we  have been played ! Swindled, hornswaggled, duped, bamboozled, taken to the cleaners, given the shaft ! We have been pulled into this Lebron tractor beam to see where the oh so great king goes. Whatever. Sure, great player, very talented, marketable, all the above. Champion, leader, has that killer instinct, not so sure. And if he does decide to sign with Miami my point will be proven. Yep the hype will follow him all the way to south Florida. I wanna see how long it stays when  realized the guy that's already down there has the three things I mentioned already. So who is the real king ? What about that guy on the west ? Think his name is Kobe something. I haven't seen any of them having some tv special to announce where they are signing. Really Lebron ? Is this your way of making up for what you missed in high school ? Sitting at the table with your mom, maybe DW will join. Ok, that was wrong.  Any whoo, as sec guy would say, are you're gonna sit there with three little hats and make some ridiculous annoncement that will include thanking god, family, cleveland organization and fans, blah blah blah, then put your little hat on buddy ? Everybody clapping for you, squeeze out an occasional tear of two. Please, spare me. Spare us all.

 Just do what Mr. Durant did, don't say anything, no show, no anything and make a decision. All the huss and fuss being created around this is ridiculous. It's even escalated to the point where CNBC is putting him on the board next to rising and declining company  charts. Maybe not next to BP, I must admit, his stock is slightly higher than theirs. There are news anchors in every possible city, hell, might as well put somebody in China. As long as people have opinions on where they could see him fit in, why not China.  Team up with starbury, make up a new language, call it  Lebronese or something, it might just work out for you. I just know from being a professional athlete myself, I wouldn't want all of this around me. During my negotiating period I just wanted the deal done so I could move on. Period. Another thing that bothers me is this three muskateer act thats going on. Now, I know free agency has changed the game a lot.  Players have more options now, I get it. I just don't remember Jordan, Magic, or Bird pulling this stunt. When I played, of course I wanted to play with other great players, however having a round table with other guys and making up a team like a pick up game was not an option. So what happened to bringing a championship to Cleveland ? Having a legacy there and putting the team and city on his back ? Being the guy ? Kobe's the guy in L.A., Wade is the guy in Miami, he's the guy in Cleveland right ? But hey, I can't judge him. It's his life and his career. Lebron knows what he wants his  legacy to be. Just like he knows what team he's signing with. I just wonder if he knows what this hour long after school special makes him look like.

No comments:

Post a Comment