Podcast

THE CUT PODCAST

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Mo Money ! Mo Money !

If many of you watched the Jets Giants game last night, I think it's important to realize what a tricky position both the Jets and cornerback Darrelle Revis are in. Without Revis in the line up last night, it's very obvious the Jets are very weak at corner. Cromartie played well, but besides him no one else showed they could make up for the loss Revis. I'm sure the Jets are now evaluating their options to get him signed, but Revis as well is probably doing some soul-searching himself.

Darrelle Revis was without question the best cornerback in the NFL last year. He definitely confirmed that there are still "shut down" corners left in this era of football. At this point  he has out played his contract, but for the insane amount of money he wants based off of a deal done by the crypt keeper, Al Davis he and his agent need to use more common sense. This looks really bad for Revis. As a former player I do understand wanting to paid what you're worth. The year I resigned with the Jets I saw a bigger purpose than just being paid crazy money. I could have easily gone out to free agency and gotten paid by many clubs. However, I did not want to start over, I trusted Bill, and I knew we had an opportunity to do something special. Personally, I did not want to miss out on that. Which is why I don't understand the logic behind this hold out.

From what I've read, the Jets offered Revis a 10 year $120 million contract. And Revis is seeking $160 million to "take care of his family". For real dawg ? He can't take care of his family with $120 million ? How many families is he supporting ? Is there a supreme gold addition of Ramen Noodles out there that I don't know about ? To use the "I have to take care of my family excuse" as his reason is total bullbleep. How about this Darrelle, just be honest and tell all your fans, that pay your salary by the way, that you have fed into the hype, your head is the same size as the newly opened Meadowlands Stadiums, and your poo doesn't stink so you should be paid like it. At least we all would respect you more for being honest. Instead, you pulled a cliché statement out of butt and you want us to all jump on your side for your "family". I'm sorry but I can not do that.

It's apparent NFL clubs are taking a harder look at how they are paying players. There are some salaries that have gotten out of control. What Revis and his agent have forgotten is that you can't have the "daddy he got some more money I want some too" attitude. Clubs have different pay scales and guidelines they follow. You have to work within the confines of those guidelines. He can't just say I want this and expect to get it. No matter how good of a player he is, no matter how valuable he is to the Jets, all clubs have the same mentality. You can, and will be replaced. Sure, he can ask for a trade and but from my personal knowledge of GM Mike Tannebaum, they'll ship him off. The only problem with that, is will he sacrifice being  on a good team and winning for being on a crappy team and being paid. It will be hard for him to get on certain teams demanding that type of money. What if the Jets end up going to the Super Bowl as predicted ? Then that may be an opportunity missed. We went to the AFC Championship in 98, thinking we would go back, we never had a sniff at it again. Those are things you can't get back, those are the things in life you don't want to look back at and regret.

No one really has leverage here in my opinion. A common ground needs to be reached in some way to get this done. Honestly, I think the offer by the Jets was very fair. It has many advantages, and even though nothing is certain it makes him a Jet for his career. I just don't see the downside in that. On top of that you are playing on a team that wants to win and will do what it takes to win. Revis needs to put his pride aside and leave his ego at the door and just play. He will be rewarded, the Jets have already assured him of that. What does being the highest paid corner in the league do for him ? It doesn't help him win. It doesn't make his career any better than it is or would be if he took less money. Ultimately, if he isn't on a winning team then he is just another corner to pass through the NFL. Now that's something to be proud of. Guess then you could put him and a  professional groupie in the same category. Only he would be the highest paid groupie in the league.  Karrine Steffans beware, your crown is in jeopardy. There is a new Vixen in the spotlight. I'm not certain of this but he has covered more people than even you.

No comments:

Post a Comment